Saturday, August 18, 2012

Packing for Dummies (I am the dummy)

I was going to do a big, huge, epic general packing post. But then I realized I couldn't do that, because I am not packing in a very general situation.

I am an over packer. I'll go on vacation for a week and take like three month's worth of clothes with me. I like say it's because I enjoy having options, but really, I'm just too damn indecisive about everything for my own good.

Normally, at this time of the year, I'll be packing to move into my dorm room. I go to school about four hours away from home, and so I'll load up my tiny little Hyundai with everything I need for my picture-perfect dorm room, barely have room for myself, and drive upstate all cramped, but completely content with my wardrobe and my decorating choices and life. 

This time is a bit different. I'm flying. I have an allowance of two checked bags and a carry-on. I have to get creative. 

But I can't let my wardrobe and decorating skills suffer, can I?!!! Absolutely not. So, instead of doing a general, epic packing post, I'm going to grace you all with some worthwhile tips that I used myself while packing. 

We shall entitle this, COLLEGE PROGRAM PACKING: FOR FLYERS. Creative, huh?

TIP #1: They don't like to tell you this in the advertisements and on the boxes and stuff, you know, to preserve separation of church and state and stuff, but Space Bags were hand crafted by Jesus himself. It's true.

I packed ten "regular wear" shirts, ten "regular wear" tanks, like seven tees, five pairs of shorts, five pairs of leggings, five pairs of jeans, two pairs of professional slacks, three professional blouses, four professional dresses, two blazers, a rain coat, a denim jacket, seven sundresses, six "going out" outfits, a cocktail dress, four cardigans, three sweaters, two hoodies, a pair of sweatpants, two pairs of yoga pants, socks, and underwear. (Consider this Emily's clothing packing list, the quick version). And I Space-bagged all of it. I had this huge hanging garment bag Space Bag and I almost cried when I found it, because I thought it was going to be a normal one and it wasn't and I thought I couldn't use it. But then I decided it actually worked perfectly, because it was a five-foot long bag that I was attempting to cram into a six-foot long duffle bag. So I vacuumed the $#%^ out of them and then cried again because all the air seeped back in, and then I tried again the next day with a clear head and it kinda worked, so I just stuffed it in the bag and calmly and rationally walked away. And then later, I added in my multitudes of shoes (NO, YOU CANNOT HAVE TOO MANY PAIRS OF SHOES. EVER.) and things I forgot, impulse-bought, etc. But only clothing went in the duffle. 

Everything else went in another suitcase. Which brings me to TIP #2... 

The mountain. 

A liiiiiiiitle more organized. 

After the Space Bag Revolution of 2012

TIP #2: Pack your clothes separately from all your other crap. 

It sounds weird, but I do this when I'm going to school too and it always works. It helps me to remain more organized, especially when unpacking. And things just fit better and... I don't have any good reasoning for this. Just do it, okay? And  a lot can fit in suitcases. I have a lamp, an ottoman, and a set of plastic drawers in mine. Don't even ask how. But I promise, I did it. 

TIP #3: Start early. 

Now, everyone probably says that they're going to do this all the time and it never gets done (story of my life), but I actually did it right this time. Start packing two weeks before you're set to leave and either a) buy more clothes, or b) dress like a bum for two weeks. Bottom line, you'll feel amazing that you have everything under control and you're not rushing around like a maniac two hours before you're supposed to leave. I made my basement packing HQ, and just dumped all my stuff down there, sorted it, organized it, and stuffed it into bags. That way, the rest of my house didn't look like tornado ally, and I had a legitimate work space and it was really cute. Anything you need until the last minute, keep out at the last minute. But get the majority of it DONE EARLY. That way, you have time to relax and see you friends and family and do trivial things like bake cakes and read The Hunger Games (thaaaaat was me). 

TIP #4: Bring a big carry on. 

And pack all the stuff that you need pre-check-in in that carry-on so you don't have to touch your monstrous bags and disrupt all your handy work prior to unpacking. I'm staying in Orlando for two nights before I move into my apartment, so my carry-on has all the clothes/supplies I need for those two days. 

TIP #5: Don't be afraid to ship a box to Orlando ahead of time. It's legal. I swear. 

Either check with the hotel you're staying at pre-arrival, or check with a friend who already lives in one of the complexes. I know the Holiday Inn Resort Lake Buena Vista accepts packages for their guests and holds them for arrival (because that's what I did.) I shipped down all my linens - (towels, sheets, mattress pad, comforter, throw blankets, pillows, stuffed animals - SPACE BAGS!) about a week ahead of time and it was waiting for me at the Holiday Inn when I arrived. It only cost me about $18, and it saved a LOT of headache. 

The Box
And again... 

TIP #6: There are stores in Florida. I promise. 

You really don't have to bring your entire life with you. You can buy it when you get there. And hold off on buying things for the apartment until you know where you're living and who you're living with. And then buy it in Orlando. 

TIP #7: MAKE LISTS! 

Lists are good! Lists are fun! I make daily to-do lists for EVERYTHING in my life. okay, I may be on the neurotic end of the spectrum, but still... LISTS, LISTS, LISTS! Make a packing list. Make a shopping list before you pack. Make a shopping list of what you'll need to buy in Florida. Make a carry-on packing list. Check things off as you go. Highlight things in different colors. It helps. I swear. 

TIP #8: Wheels are good. Use wheels. 

My duffle bag did not have wheels. My carry on duffle did not have wheels. My shoulders hurt. And that brings me to tip #8. 

TIP #9: Heavy bags = bad things. 

See these? They're going to kill me. 
I am not a perfect person. And despite all this planning, I got to the airport and the nice man told me my bags were both  25 lbs overweight. It cost me $100. This problem would have been solved had I brought three bags instead of two, but whatever. I consolidated and I consolidated well. 

So bottom line, space bags, time, wheels, shopping, be organized. I think that covers it all. Moving in on Monday. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 

No comments:

Post a Comment